Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Sydneysiders and Germans

I was recently asked the question for what primary purpose I travelled?  Was I interested in the places, the culture, the museums, the history, people, etc?  What interested me most?  Inevitably, I replied that it all interested in me.  But in thinking about it more, I can fairly confidently say that it is the people that I meet and see that make the most lasting impression on me.  It is also the part that makes me the happiest.  Relationships and human contact is extremely important, and in light of all the aforementioned, today I want to introduce you to my 2 Germans friends I made while travelling in Sydney.  Patrick and Philipp.  Two guys aged 20 years or so, they stayed with me in my hostel for 5 days or so.  Despite our cultural differences, it was amazing how easily we got along and understood each other.  When I say "understand each other,"  I'm not referring to the differences in language because they spoke perfect English.  We shared meals, BBQ 'd together, and had a good laugh when we realized that we were brought up watching many of the same cartoons (Darkwing Duck and Chip-n-dale sounds pretty amusing in German).  We also exchanged several nuances of language.  I learned several German words and sentences in addition to learning to the first line of the German national anthem.  Haha, I made a point that from now on whenever I make some good German friends, I will insist they teach me a new word as well as the next line of the National Anthem.  All of these things probably sound a little childish, but when you travel on your own and meet some people you click with, well, it's simply hard to describe.  It's almost something you have to experience.  It's amazing how in such a short amount of time (5 days), you know you've made a friend(s) for life.  I can be pretty certain of this because my friends, Patrick and Philipp are the ones who are providing you with this month's Speedo picture!  It takes a brave man, comfortable in his own skin, to take a picture of another pasty-white man in a Speedo amongst a throng of people.  Even more so to pose with him.







Mr. July.  This was just one of many photos taken.  It was hilarious to see the heads turned in the photos afterwards.












Patrick, me, and Philipp in front of the Sydney Opera House.  I believe this picture is now Philipp's facebook profile picture.



The best part about this whole experience is that while slightly embarrassing, something special also happened.  The Speedo brought people together.  After I got a plethora of pictures taken, a group of girls came over to us and asked me if I had lost a bet.  I unfortunately had to explain that I was simply doing it as a calendar - haha, but the best part was, they then wanted to get a picture with me as well.  A group of 6, 16 year old Germa girls, thank goodness I wasn't sporting my mustache as I surely would have been arrested.


    Other than this amazing experience, my time in Sydney was also highlighted by hearing the Symphony play Beethoven's 5th and walking across the Harbor Bridge.  I spent about 5 days there and now find myself in Adelaide, Australia.  I'm staying with some family friends and am enjoying it immensely.  What many of you may be particularly excited to discover is that I am now in the possession of small, travel lap top.  Thanks to my parents (mainly worrisome Mother), I can now stay in contact much easier in addition to potentially setting up some Skype dates in the event anyone wants to talk.  j.meyer72 - I'll be on from time to time, so throw the dice and sign on.  Maybe we talk and catch up!  Also, seeing as I have easy, free access to internet, I will be putting up a couple albums of pictures from Australia and New Zealand, so make sure to check those out.  If we aren't friends on facebook yet for some reason, make sure to find me on the TCU network.  I'll keep this one a bit shorter as I suspect I'll potentially have more exciting news in the next couple days. 





The Opera House by Night














The inside of the Opera House (also technically by night).








Oh, and one last picture.  This picture was originally going to be July's Speedo picture, simply because it is breathtaking.  You never know, if you end up ordering the calendar at the end of my travel you just might get this photo as well as a bonus shot!

Above the clouds on the Kepler Track in NZ.
Photo by Jordan Boustead   --- : )

7 comments:

  1. Can we pre-order the calendar?

    Dennis

    (Lu Ann, sorry I just couldn't sleep.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a great story, Jeff! I love the pictures. You do look thinner but healthy. :)
    Dennis....what can I say!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can indeed pre-order the calender, and I suspect for a discount price as well. Dennis, if you are the first to comment on all my posts, you'll win one, free of charge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really love the fact that you have embraced doing a speedo picture for every month. Love it! Hope your travels are well. I'll make sure to add you to my Skype list.. maybe I can catch ya one day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow....wow...amazing!!!!!! I hope your friends come visit you here, because they seem like they would totally play soccer in safeway with us!!! And yay for getting skype. Maybe for your birthday we can chat because I won't even be able to mail you a letter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. jeff judging from certain physical signs I could tell you were cold.


    Anyways, continue to have fun on your trip!

    ReplyDelete